INTERSOS Hellas is publishing the below vacancy on behalf of INTERSOS Organizzazione Umanitaria Onlus”8
|Job Title||Cultural Mediator (French – Lingala)|
|Duty Station||Lesvos, Mytiline|
|Reports to||Project Manager|
|Starting date||25/ 07/ 2021|
|Job Type||Full time|
|Deadline||02 /08/ 2021|
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Purpose/ objective of the position
INTERSOS has been present on Lesvos since September 2020, when an emergency team was deployed after Moria’s camp fire to assess the most urgent needs of the affected population and to set up an efficient crisis response.
As an urgent need for Mental Health support to vulnerable women was identified, early in 2021 INTERSOS began a Mental Health and Psychosocial support intervention aimed at providing comprehensive psychosocial care to vulnerable women residing in Mavrovouni RIC and to enhance the general mental health response. Currently, INTERSOS MHPSS intervention targets women who belong to vulnerable groups presenting signs of psychological distress, who have survived gender-based violence and/or are the sole or
primary caregivers of a dependent family member. The MHPSS INTERSOS Team, composed of psychologists, Case Managers and Protection Officers ensure that the mental health programme adheres to a holistic and rights-based approach. The aim of the intervention, in the frame of full case management support, is to provide comprehensive psychosocial care to the persons, through individual and group sessions along with high-quality referrals of the beneficiaries to other services and support.
As Cultural Mediator the member of staff is supporting the implementation of the Communication with Communities Strategy of INTERSOS, ensuring a Community-based approach is adopted. As an expert in 2 or more language groups the person is responsible for both translating where necessary and offering cultural mediation support where necessary. While the duality of the role is challenging, INTERSOS sees this role as a key part of mainstreaming community-based responses, engaging beneficiaries and providing culturally sensitive services to the beneficiaries it hosts in languages they can understand.
Program Quality and Specific CM tasks
- Assist in the implementation of any activity connected to the project at hand where liaison with beneficiaries is concerned
- Interpret during MHPSS individual and group sessions psychoeducational activities supporting the psychologists and the Case Worker
- Support the communication among the staff and the beneficiaries including phone or written methods
- Interpret and assist the distribution of NFIs and the implementation of hygiene promotion activities, info sessions or any other activity planned by INTERSOS
- Commit to the implementation of activities are per scheduling provided by Protection Officer
- Translate and mediate between the beneficiaries and other project staff
- Translate and mediate between the beneficiaries and services that INTERSOS accompanies or orientates beneficiaries to
- Support any protection related activity as required by the protection response, including protection information delivery, individual counselling etc.
- Assume the duty of protecting confidential information about the beneficiaries to ensure every person’s confidentiality and privacy is respected.
- Support in Communicating with Communities, mobilizing communities and the implementation of feedback mechanisms and other initiatives requested by beneficiaries or planned by INTERSOS
- Provide feedback to and recommendations on interactions with beneficiaries
- Contribute to the creation of information material and the translation of relevant documentation
Monitoring and Reporting
Provide regular progress reports to the Protection Officer and other focal points where required
To provide on weekly basis the updated requirements to the Protection Officer
Perform any other tasks as may be requested or required by the job
As per main duties outlined above the Cultural Mediator will
- Attend weekly/biweekly meetings together with other Colleagues
- Attend General Meetings
As per required the Cultural Mediator should be copied in relation to
- General Team issues
- General sector issues
- Specific Cultural Mediation or CWC Issues
- CWC-related communication
Past experience and skills:
- Professional or volunteer experience in a related position
- Previous experience with local or international NGOs will be considered an asset.
- Excellent verbal and good written knowledge of French and Lingala
- English: good verbal skills (required) and good written skills (required).
- Greek: good verbal and written skills (desirable).
- Good computer literacy.
- Training or courses in GBV will be considered an asset.
If you wish to apply for the above position, please submit your CV along with a Cover Letter in English, not later than 2nd August to the following email address: email@example.com. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidenciality. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview appointment. Order or priority will be held and the identification of candidate could take place before the vacancy’s ending date.